Friday, January 30, 2015

Review: Roller Coaster


Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster by Marla Frazee

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This is right up there with the best visual work I've seen from [a:Marla Frazee|122662|Marla Frazee|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png]. She isn't at her strongest when she's in charge of both words and pictures, but her best visual strengths are clear for me in this book. A cinematic, almost IMAX picturebook! In her first two pages she gave me no less than sixty-nine unique figure drawings. On the next page turn, she pulled out all the stops and gave me the expanse of a full coaster filling the spread. The back and forth between the figures and the dynamic guiding lines is amazing. She either used the whole spread to contain something expansive, or else suggested the expanse by framing things to bleed off the edge of the page. A lot of fun to look at repeatedly.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment