Saturday, February 21, 2015

Review: Are You My Mother?


Are You My Mother?
Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Bechdel was in masterful control of the pace and narrative. While it was a difficult, long read, she kept me coming back and I needed to talk about it a lot afterward. There is a clear thread of self-indulgence in her telling the story. But being annoyed by that was balanced by the craft.

Also, it seemed like she was thinking about the relationship between picture and text on every panel. Yes, there's a lot of text, but it's not thick. The book took me a long time to read, so the only way I can explain that is that Bechdel drew me to look a bit longer than usual at each of the panels, looking for the visual story. Nice example of complementary pictures-words.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment