Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Review: Pomelo's Opposites


Pomelo's Opposites
Pomelo's Opposites by Ramona Badescu

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This was much better than the last concept book I read. The images and text are loaded with unanswered questions and inferences to make. I felt like I had to stop along the way to 'notice and fondle the details' as Eliot Singer used to day, and then decide how these details made a difference to me. Some of the juxtapositions were laugh-out-loud funny, and were in the same post-modern spirit as [b:People|11423979|People|Blexbolex|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1363658140s/11423979.jpg|16357237]. A favorite is the page where the cartoon elephant is faced by a page with a painting of an African elephant--it's still a painting (not a photo), just in a different style and still slightly cartoony! Very interesting talk to be had around these pictures.

I didn't feel like the text answered all the questions about 'why' these things were opposites (at least not on every page). The book supported my open-ended questions.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment