Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Review: Inside Outside


Inside Outside
Inside Outside by Lizi Boyd

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Utopian waldenesque fiction for the very young. It was great to see this kid and dog doing everything with no adults bossing them around. Each page turn showed me a microcosm all within the house and yard--there's enough to explore and do there. The kid's imagination gets to have free rein even though it's a mostly realistic (if idealistic) setting.

In this book, play = we make, we do, we take care of. The social world is a world of willing pets, semi-wild animals, and imagined friends.

The cutouts were well done, and it was nice that the book was wordless, because I got to focus on the cutouts as the second narrative. These paper play elements were so well executed, I couldn't see them half the time. Brilliant graphic design and illustration to achieve this kind of illusion without flaps or stickers. The illustrations gave me a lot to look at on each page, for making inferences and holding onto meaningful details.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment