Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Review: Parrots Over Puerto Rico


Parrots Over Puerto Rico
Parrots Over Puerto Rico by Susan L. Roth

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I haven't seen a sideways book since [b:Tadpole's Promise|669839|Tadpole's Promise |Jeanne Willis|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1176956591s/669839.jpg|892370]. I'm surprised more people don't do this. I realize it makes for a different kind of read-aloud, but a picturebook is just as easy to hold the tall way as the wide way. And the tall page gives a different kind of expansiveness that is appropriate for a book about birds, trees, and sky.

I'm not a great fanof the paper cutting art anymore. But it works well for feathers and leaves, so again, good choices.

The narrow sans-serif "Francois One font was a little difficult to read, especially since it was placed on textured and colored background. Christy Hale made the words big enough and with just enough character spacing to be still legible, so it still feels like professional work even though I didn't like it.

The rescue story was remarkable, with a cautionary conservationist agenda, it gave the slice of life for science and scientists--a feel for the interesting possibilities of field work.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment