Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Review: How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food


How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food by Chris Butterworth

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Lucia Gaggiotti's illustrations and design are the real story here. Butterworth's straightforward, concise source-to-table descriptions were a great jumping off point for Gaggiotti's infographic-like illustrations of the multiple steps. Her work is reminiscent of the graphic Mary Blair style from the 1950s. Her sense of color is captivating. The spot illustrations of several dozen different foods on the endsheets was so fun to look at. I am glad Candlewick insists on seemingly small design details like endsheets, rounded corners, and thick paper that are all palpable and spark my love for the material aspect of a printed book. It's a satisfying book just to hold and look at.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment