Monday, March 4, 2013

Review: The Man from the Land of Fandango


The Man from the Land of Fandango
The Man from the Land of Fandango by Margaret Mahy

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



The poem was rhythmically great, and the nonsense was a lot of fun. She never goes into the actual meaning of fandango, but just seems to enjoy the word. I could hear a lot of Edward Lear in this, but also it reminded me very much of Nancy Willard's "The Man in the Marmalade Hat."

The illustrations were not a great complement, because they did way too much to set the tone for how to think about the poem. As with most poetry, I just wish it weren't illustrated. I think it would be a very good poem for a read-aloud and to learn to recite, but without the pictures would be better.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment