Monday, March 4, 2013

Review: Penny and Her Song


Penny and Her Song
Penny and Her Song by Kevin Henkes

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



Another installment in the Penny and Her ____ series. The approach to validating a child, even though it may be delayed, was okay. The overall feeling I had after reading it was "Why did this get to be a published book?" Henkes has a good racket going with his mice, and he's obviously trying to fill a niche in the Early Reader market.

Henkes' mice remind me a little of the earlier Rosemary Wells, back when she did the original 1976 version of Noisy Nora (I disagree with her--it didn't need to be redone). I realize he can't be 'on' all the time if he puts out high volume, but I can hardly believe this is the same author from Olive's Ocean.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment