Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Review: Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!


Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I couldn't believe I was actually reading another book about the first day of school. This topic has become one of the standing jokes about how to get your bad picture book published. Can't give it a four, because it's about the first day of school, but I did like it.

Noteworthy among books on this topic, Yum's decisions in the illustration were inventive and required interpretation. She drew the mom small and painted her blue throughout almost the entire book. As an adult reading, it felt like typical children's fears were being projected onto the mom. But then again, a lot of moms are more nervous about sending their kids to school than the kids are themselves, so it could be straight realism. The depictions of the mom were paired with oversized pictures of the boy, so that he constantly appeared much larger than his mom--that he was the 'big' one in this situation. These decisions would make the book interesting to talk about.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment