Sunday, November 16, 2014

Review: Harris and Me


Harris and Me
Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I'm reading this the same time I'm reading [b:Hatchet|69940|Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1)|Gary Paulsen|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388190251s/69940.jpg|1158125] out loud to the family. I should have picked this one for read-aloud! The nostalgia of farm life is well-laced with manure, chores, cuts and bruises. Watching the two boys get into trouble chapter after chapter was like repeated dips into the Foolish section of [a:Stith Thompson|288488|Stith Thompson|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-ccc56e79bcc2db9e6cdcd450a4940d46.png]'s folk motif chapter on the Wise and the Foolish.

The episodes would have felt completely folk-tale-ish if they hadn't reminded me so much of the dumb stuff my cousins and I used to do up at grandma and grandpa's property in Butler. I laughed out loud several times during the reading, so that Pearl had to come over and see what I was reading. She might be in next.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment