Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Review: Weeds Find a Way


Weeds Find a Way
Weeds Find a Way by Cindy Jenson-Elliott

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



[a:Carolyn Fisher|1312768|Carolyn Fisher|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-ccc56e79bcc2db9e6cdcd450a4940d46.png]'s deep textures and dynamic lines in the composition drew me in and gave me a sense of movement, something happening on each double-page spread throughout the whole book. This started with a wide variety of seeds moving around the landscapes, finding their way. It culminated with the lines signifying plants moving by growing down, up, and out. The beauty of the weeds was enchanting, and reminded me of the Lao and Hmong people I knew in San Diego, who insisted there was no word in their language for 'weed'. I loved the earthy palette. The back matter offered more information on specific weeds and on what it means for a plant to be a weed. While this information offers much of what is there on the wikipedia page, the story itself is built on its own narrative structure, not on a simple narrative outline.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment