Sunday, November 16, 2014

Review: The Vacation


The Vacation
The Vacation by Polly Horvath

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This was a great read-aloud. I so enjoy when Polly Horvath puts her effort into drawing the characters in all their humanity even if it paints her into some strange plot corners. I don't know if I even remember what really happened for most of the book, but I do remember laughing out loud over and over at the way Henry and his aunts said things. When Henry realized that he preferred his 'unpleasant' people to the milquetoast folks they met near the end, it felt good to agree. This is one of the great things about experiencing unpleasantness in books--I can agree with Henry in principle, but then be glad I'm not actually in the family in the book. Unpleasant people and situations are also so much more interesting and tolerable when the writing is funny!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment