Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Review: Balloon Trees


Balloon Trees
Balloon Trees by Danna Smith

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



This kind of 'how things are made' book always reminds me of Picture-Picture on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. Which made me immediately think that this book is probably already covered by youtube videos. It is, but you have to watch two separate videos to get both the harvesting of latex and the manufacture of balloons. I didn't get much value added out of the rhyming text and the illustrations. Duplicating discovery channel videos doesn't seem like a good use of a hard-copy four-color picturebook. I did like Laurie Klein's visual device of the bird on every page, giving each stage of the process a presence and a personal 'hook' to follow.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment