Thursday, October 10, 2013

Review: What Will Hatch?


What Will Hatch?
What Will Hatch? by Jennifer Ward

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Ward's sense of rhythm for this rhyming text was pretty good. I didn't need it to rhyme, but not having it be that same sing-songy cadence showed some skill and control on her part.

The painted-on-wood illustrations were beautiful to look at with the texture showing through, and Ghahremani's design sense. She actually gets the design credit for the book in the front matter.

The cutouts were fun, but not as meaningful as in some other books, so I would say Ghahremani just wanted to try it. In a book like [b:Night Light|16043631|Night Light|Nicholas Blechman|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1358266283s/16043631.jpg|21820890] each cutout was central to what I needed to pay attention to and comprehend. Playful features like cutouts or pop-ups shouldn't be there just because we can.

I was so hoping to see her use 'taglion' and 'aerus' in this book, but no dice ;(



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment