Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Review: This or That Animal Debate: A Rip-Roaring Game of Either/Or Questions


This or That Animal Debate: A Rip-Roaring Game of Either/Or Questions
This or That Animal Debate: A Rip-Roaring Game of Either/Or Questions by Joan Axelrod-Contrada

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This series is all about engagement. It drew me in, got me thinking and reacting to the paired choice, and then moved me on to the next pair.

From the same Edge series as [b:This or That Survival Debate|14352894|This or That Survival Debate A Rip-Roaring Game of Either/Or Questions|Erik Heinrich|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1355892043s/14352894.jpg|19994823], Axelrod-Contrada provided an engaging 'would you rather' game. Again, this kind of arbitrary choice is just in good fun, and intended to provide an excuse for detailing specific facts about animals. It made the following facts memorable: Over 100 people are killed each year by box jellyfish, but only about 5-6 in shark attacks; A wolf can run 22 miles in a stretch, but a cheetah can only go for less than a minute; recent stories of feral children have them living with wild dogs and wild monkeys!

Interestingly, the photos for this book seem less drawn from stock photo collections. Specific individuals are noted in 15 or so instances with no connection to a stock photo company. To me this suggests the research was all internet, and the 'just right' photos found through google searches belonged to individuals rather than a company. Eric Gohl is credited as the media researcher, so I assume this was his work. I think I'll call Capstone to see if I can ask him a few questions about process.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment